Today, I discovered this video on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om-a-qoI5qU. Since this video is just another fallacious answer to another video about Islam (in my opinion quite accurate, fact based and funny) , I will take some time in criticizing the arguments given.
Now, let’s walk through the arguments:
- “you wanna get famous, so you attack Islam”: this is a fallacious re-frame. The guy read the book, and has the total right of depicting what he read. By doing so, he encourages the west to show interest in what is happening in the Islamic world, and to decide for its own fate. As such he is defending western civilization, and this requires a lot of inner strength for which he should be proud. In the end, if Muslims do not like hearing what is written in the Quran, they can throw it or request an update!
- “you are a minority, not many people like you”: well, how could someone possibly say that a fact is not true? Oh wait, under the “racism argument”, right!
- “it is best that I educate the people”: we do not need Muslims to teach the west about Islam! This is a clear demonstration of conversion intentions, and a total agreement with the text. One could already stop the video here.
- “Islam is actually the only religion prohibits the age of marriage”: well, very good demonstration that Islam is not only a religion, but a law. Thanks for reinforcing the evident incompatibility between western civilization and Islamic civilization. In addition, many Islamic countries actually marry very early – no need to avoid talking about facts.
- “The truth is, in different times, the age of marriage varies… people mature and develop differently… women had matured faster at that time”: here, I will call on biology and history simply. The brain of men and women is more or less the same over the last 25000 years. It develops during childhood, reinforces connections during teenage, whilst crystallizing during the 20’s. This means that most people are not mature enough before their early 20’s to get married, and this across all ages, all times – this is called science. But well what is science against Islam?
- “the issue of multiple wives… Solomon has 700 wives…”: well, that is extremely fallacious because 1) Christians do not inspire their law and societal rules on the bible, but rather on the state. Christian culture has always been monogamic, contrary to Muslim culture; 2) as explained in a previous post, polygamy can only be achieved through the access of other’s wife – as mentioned eventually divorced, but divorce is not something easy in Islam!….
- “Adultery”: well, polygamy is an institution of cheat! Hiding the dust under the carpet doesn’t make it disappear. In addition, Christian societies could maintain a low level of adultery without beating or killing their wives.
- “The whole purpose of the punishment is to act as a deterrent”: well, it seems Islamic people need quite a harsh punishment in order not to commit crimes! Where is the human ability to decide for oneself? Or is it rather a confession of a highly violent society?
- “Muslims… Muhammad was tortured severely”: well, wanna talk about the millions of black Africans and Christians that Muslim slaughtered? Still today, Islam is the only religion killing people in its name on a daily basis.
- “100 hundred years ago, black people were not considered as human beings”: it is completely untrue. They were just considered as equal, which is not the same. Look at Islam history: “Some historians estimate that between A.D. 650 and 1900, 10 to 20 million people were enslaved by Arab slave traders. Others believe over 20 million enslaved Africans alone had been delivered through the trans-Sahara route alone to the Islamic world. Dr. John Alembellah Azumah in his 2001 book, The Legacy of Arab-Islam in Africa estimates that over 80 million Black people more died en route – http://atlantablackstar.com/2014/06/02/10-facts-about-the-arab-enslavement-of-black-people-not-taught-in-schools/2/” – this can also be checked on Wikipedia, but requires broad reading and analysis.
- “… ethics of war… protect trees, protect elderly, protect the children, protect the women”: if you want to say that Islam is about peace, do not say that there is an ethic of war.
One word for this video: fallacious!!